Black Youth Rising
The Black Youth Rising Project is a comprehensive outreach program which includes services
designed specifically for Black children and youth over the summer months. The project is funded by the Ministry of Education and is youth led.
This project builds on Jaku Konbit’s year-round programming such as our Black Star Tutoring Program, Mentorship, Youth Employment Network, Afrocentric Class for Children, and the Provincial Outreach Worker Program for Black youth and their families.
The Youth Leadership Team, composed of a coordinator and a communications and executive assistant have the following goals:
- Empowering Black youth
- Collaborative approach, which will draw on both participant and program staff’s strengths and capabilities
- Promoting an improved quality of life by facilitating timely access to the necessary support
Weekly Information and educational session on wide range of relevant topics:
- Financial literacy, leadership skills, trades, entrepreneurship, etc.
- Tik Tok video competition
- Job Preparedness
- Climate change and the environment
- Black Youth Expo
- Connect Black youth to academic and mental support
- Increase number of Black youth partners knowledge base
- Create new initiatives in support of program delivery and extend to Black youth
- Develop community awareness of culture specific programming for youth
- Identify leadership opportunities for youth regarding mental health wellness
- Increase capacity with new partnership supports and exchange